This year Bolton Sailing Club (BSC) will be holding a stall at the Belmont Village Fete and Fell Races. The fell races bring a large number of people into our small village, including the runners and their families, as well as people from in and around the village. This is an opportunity to engage with those people and build strong relationships between club and community. It is also a good platform to promote our new status as a Community Action Sports Club. In addition, it is a lovely day out for everyone, from small children to senior friends! The Belmont Village Residents’ Association are organising maypole dancing, a dog show, Morris dancing plus all the traditional stalls you would expect at a village fete; including one that has been allocated for BSC. The format of our stall will be as follows:
- Display boards containing photos, promotional posters and testimonials from some of our members.
- A selection of boats rigged up for display.
- Pirates play area for small children.
- With older children in mind, a craft table to make origami boats and BSC pennants.
- Distribution of promotional postcards
- Tickets/ vouchers sold for taster sessions to be held on the evening of Thursday 16th May and the afternoon of Saturday 18th May.
- An opportunity to watch the Sunday racing as a visiting guest, with an experienced member to interpret the race for them
To achieve this, your club needs volunteers who can:
- Put together displays and backdrops.
- Write a testimonial in no more than 50 words.
- Make a small selection of pirates’ props.
- Set up a gazebo.
- Rig and de-rig boats at the start and finish.
- Supervise children in play and crafts.
- Distribute postcards.
- Talk to the public about sailing.
- Sell taster session vouchers.
- Take members of the public out for a sail in a double hander (experienced helms only).
- Supervise small children in Optimists in the jetty area.
- Supervise the jetty area.
- Provide safety boat cover.
- Smile and make people feel welcome!
If you can do any or many of these jobs, please email or phone me as soon as possible, with an idea of what you are able to do. Even if you can only spare 30 minutes of your time, it will be very welcome and your club will benefit from it!
Very best wishes